Do you love a delicious and comforting dish that’s also easy to make? Then you’re going to love this recipe for Chicken with White Wine and Mushroom Reduction! This dish is perfect for a cozy night in or an impressive dinner party.
This flavorful recipe features tender chicken breasts in a creamy white wine sauce with savory mushrooms and sweet onions. It’s made all in one pan, so cleanup is a breeze! The rich flavors of the wine sauce pair perfectly with the chicken, creating a dish that’s both decadent and satisfying.
So why not impress your family or guests with a delicious homemade meal full of flavor and elegance? This recipe is sure to become a new favorite for all occasions. Keep reading for the ingredient list, step-by-step instructions, variations, pairing suggestions, tips for perfect results, and more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you love chicken, mushrooms, and wine, then you’ll love this chicken with white wine and mushroom reduction recipe. Here’s why:
Firstly, the combination of dry white wine, sweet onions, and cremini mushrooms creates a delicious and savory sauce that perfectly complements the juicy chicken.
Secondly, the recipe is incredibly easy to follow – you only need one pan and a handful of ingredients to get started. The cooking process takes 25 minutes from start to finish, making it a great option for busy weeknights.
Thirdly, this recipe is incredibly versatile. If you don’t have chicken breasts on hand, you can easily substitute them with chicken thighs or even whole cut-up chicken. Additionally, you can modify the recipe to make a creamy version by adding bechamel sauce or heavy cream.
Finally, the delicious flavor of this dish is sure to impress your dinner guests without requiring hours in the kitchen. Whether cooking for two or ten people, this dish will satisfy everyone’s taste buds.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for an easy-to-make dish that tastes incredible and has endless variations, then look no further than this chicken with white wine and mushroom reduction recipe. It’s sure to become a household staple!
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need for this delicious One-Pan Creamy Chicken With White Wine and Mushroom Sauce recipe:
For the Chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
For the Wine Sauce:
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Gather these ingredients and let’s get started on making this sumptuous dish!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gathered all the necessary ingredients, let’s move on to the exciting part – cooking! This chicken with white wine and mushroom reduction recipe is super easy to make and is cooked in just one pan, which means less cleaning up for you!
Step 1: Prepare Chicken
First, we need to prepare the chicken breasts. Cut the chicken breasts into 2-3 equal pieces so they cook more evenly. Season them generously with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Step 2: Sauté Mushrooms
Next, heat up 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add sliced cremini mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until aromatic and tender. Remove mushrooms from the skillet.
Step 3: Cook Chicken
Using the same skillet, heat up another tablespoon of olive oil. Add chicken to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides; this should take around 5-7 minutes.
Step 4: Create Wine Sauce
Once the chicken has browned, pour in ½ cup of dry white wine to deglaze the pan. Use a wooden spoon to scrape off any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Let it simmer for around 2-3 minutes until most of the liquid evaporates.
Step 5: Finishing Touches
Sprinkle 2 tsp each of dry mustard and flour over the chicken and stir it in. Then, pour in ½ cup of chicken broth slowly while stirring continuously to avoid lumps from forming. Add back in your sautéed mushrooms to the pan.
Step 6: Simmer & Thicken
Allow your new sauce mixture to come to a simmer while stirring frequently for around 10-15 minutes. As it heats up, it will start to thicken up and take on a creamy white appearance. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more chicken broth; if you like it thicker, let it simmer for longer.
Step 7: Serve & Enjoy!
Once the sauce has thickened to your liking, turn off the heat and let it sit in the pan for 2-3 minutes to cool down slightly. Grab your favorite serving dish and arrange your delicious chicken white wine mushroom on top of a bed of rice or mashed potatoes, then pour over that creamy white wine mushroom sauce all over. And there you have it – an easy but taste bud-tantalizing dish that will make any chef proud!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to switch things up a bit or don’t have all the original ingredients on hand, here are some substitutions and variations that you can make to this chicken with white wine and mushroom reduction recipe:
– Wine: This recipe calls for a dry white wine, but feel free to experiment with different types of wine such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, or Pinot Grigio. Keep in mind that using a sweeter wine may alter the taste of the final dish.
– Mushrooms: Cremini mushrooms work well in this recipe, but you can also use other varieties such as shiitake or button mushrooms if you prefer.
– Flour: All-purpose flour is used to help thicken the sauce, but you can also use other thickeners such as cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
– Chicken: While this recipe uses chicken breasts, you can also use boneless chicken thighs for a more flavorful and juicy meat.
– Creamy Sauce: To make this dish even creamier, add heavy cream to the sauce when cooking the mushrooms and onion. You could also substitute the wine with cream for a creamy mushroom sauce.
– Baked Chicken: Another way to prepare this recipe is by baking the chicken in the oven instead of cooking it on the stovetop. Simply coat the chicken breasts in flour and spices, place them in a baking dish with sliced mushrooms and onions around it, pour the wine sauce over it and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
These substitutions and variations will add new flavors and combinations to your dinner table!
Serving and Pairing
This creamy white wine and mushroom chicken dish will be a hit with any dinner guest. The rich sauce combined with tender, juicy chicken breast pairs perfectly with a side of roasted vegetables or a light salad for a balanced meal.
When it comes to wine pairing, I highly recommend serving this dish with a dry white wine such as a Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. These wines complement the flavors in the sauce while also cleansing the palate between bites.
If you prefer red wines, try serving this dish with Coq au Vin Blanc, a French white wine that pairs well with chicken and mushroom dishes.
For non-alcoholic beverages, I suggest serving sparkling water with a dash of lime or lemon to add some fizz and zing to your meal.
Whether you choose to pair this dish with wine, sparkling water, or your favorite beverage, your taste buds will thank you for indulging in such a delicious meal.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Chicken with White Wine and Mushroom Reduction recipe is perfect for making ahead of time. Simply follow the instructions through step 4, then transfer the chicken to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To reheat, place the chicken in a baking dish and heat in a 350°F oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat until heated through.
If you have leftover sauce, store it separately in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the sauce separately in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
When reheating any portion of this dish, it’s important to not let it dry out. To prevent this from happening, add a small amount of chicken broth, white wine, or cream sauce to moisten before reheating.
This dish also freezes well! Let cooled chicken and sauce come to room temperature then transfer to freezer-safe containers or bags. It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
To thaw frozen chicken and mushroom reduction recipe simply place it in the fridge overnight or defrost gently on low power on your microwave before reheating as instructed above.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure the perfect flavor and texture of this delicious chicken white wine recipe, here are some helpful tips to follow:
First, be sure to use a quality dry white wine for the sauce, as it is the key ingredient in bringing out the rich and bold flavor of the mushrooms and chicken. Avoid using sweet or fruity wines, as they can overwhelm the dish with their sweetness.
To get the most out of your mushrooms, sauté them separately until they are browned and caramelized before adding them to the white wine sauce. This will enhance their earthy and nutty flavors, bringing out a richness that complements the creaminess of the sauce.
Another important tip is to make sure your chicken breasts are evenly sized to guarantee even cooking. Cut any thicker areas of the chicken to match the thickness of the thinner parts.
When making the sauce, be sure to add cold butter into a warm pan to prevent it from melting too quickly. This will help it emulsify with the sauce properly and result in a smooth, creamy consistency.
Finally, allow your chicken breasts to rest for around five minutes after taking them out of the pan before slicing them. This will keep them juicy and tender while also ensuring that their full flavor is retained when serving.
By following these tips, you can elevate this already delicious recipe even more and create a memorable meal for yourself and your guests.
This Chicken with White Wine and Mushroom Reduction Recipe is a delicious, comforting and easy to make dish that has a lot of potential variations depending on personal preferences. This recipe is not only great for family dinners but also for entertaining guests. The juicy chicken breasts and creamy white wine mushroom sauce make this dish memorable and special.
I hope that you will try this recipe in your own kitchen one day soon. The combination of mushrooms, onions, dry white wine, and chicken creates a magical flavor profile that will instantly transport you to France. Once you try it, you won’t be able to resist its charm. I guarantee that this recipe will become your new comfort food favorite.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family who appreciate good food! This dish is versatile enough to be served with various types of sides and wines, so don’t be afraid to get creative when serving it. Hosting a dinner party has never been easier or more elegant with this meal as the star of the show.
In conclusion, making Chicken with White Wine and Mushroom Reduction Recipe allows you to impress your guests with minimal effort while enjoying fantastic flavors that only French cuisine can offer. This recipe is perfect for anyone looking for delicious home-cooked meals made from scratch using healthy ingredients. Pro-tip: doubling or tripling the sauce recipe never hurts! Go ahead and give it a try, I promise you won’t regret it.
Chicken With White Wine and Mushroom Reduction Recipe
- 3 medium chicken breasts
- 60 ml flour
- 5 ml dry mustard
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 225 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced thin
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 284 ml cream of mushroom soup
- Cut chicken breasts in quarters, roughly 2 inch squares. Tenderize each piece between wax paper.
- Mix flour, dry mustard, sea salt and fresh ground pepper in a pie plate.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- Preheat a large, heavy skillet or electric frying pan to med-high.
- Fry mushroom slices in 15 ml olive oil until lightly browned, remove from pan to a plate.
- Saute onion slices until translucent, also remove from pan to same plate as mushrooms.
- Add another 15 ml olive oil to pan, brown both sides of chicken. Remove from pan to a plate.
- De-glaze pan with white wine, stirring constantly and removing all bits from bottom of pan.
- Add can of cream of mushroom soup and stir well until all lumps are gone.
- Return mushrooms, onions and chicken tenders to sauce, stir well.
- Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, increase heat to medium, bring to a low boil until sauce reduces to desired consistency, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You