Hello, wine lovers and foodies! Today, I’m excited to share with you my favorite recipe for chicken with wine and capers. This dish is inspired by the classic Italian chicken piccata, but with my own twist. Trust me; it’s a crowd-pleaser and always leaves my guests asking for seconds.
The dish is perfect if you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal that’s both flavorful and elegant or want to impress your partner for date night. The best thing? The recipe only takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish!
Now let’s talk about the ingredients. This recipe calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts, flat-leaf parsley, butter, lemon, capers, and dry white wine. These are all basic ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen. Besides being easy to find, they work magic together as they bring out each other’s flavors.
Once cooked, the chicken turns out tender with a tangy sauce made out of lemon juice and wine that soaks into every bite. The capers add a burst of saltiness that balances out the citric tanginess of the sauce. You can easily find capers at local grocery stores or online vendors.
Now that I’ve got your attention let us move onto why you would love this recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen up my fellow foodies! This chicken with wine and capers recipe is the real deal. If you’re a fan of classic Italian dishes like chicken piccata, this recipe is going to knock your socks off. Trust me, there’s no shortage of flavor when it comes to this dish.
First off, let me tell you about the texture of the chicken. Perfectly pounded chicken breasts cook evenly and are juicy, tender and packed with flavor. Add a sauce made from capers, butter, white wine, lemon juice and sea salt? Yes, please! This is what elevates the dish to a whole new level.
And what’s not to love about the simplicity of this recipe? It’s super quick and easy to make, which is perfect for weeknight dinners or impromptu gatherings. You’ll find that just a few ingredients can go a long way if they’re used correctly.
So whether you’re making this recipe for your family or for your next dinner party, I can guarantee it will be a hit. The combination of flavors in this dish will undoubtedly impress even the most seasoned food critic. So go ahead and give it a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Here comes the fun part – let’s dive into the ingredient list!
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 pieces)
- Sea salt
- All-purpose flour
- Olive oil
- Butter (unsalted)
- Garlic cloves (minced)
- Chicken broth (1 cup)
- Dry white wine (1/2 cup)
- Lemon juice (1 lemon)
- Capers (2 tablespoons)
- Flat leaf parsley (for garnish)
The ingredients of this recipe are simple and easy to come by. The foundation of this dish is the best chicken breasts you can find, which will be cooked and coated in a flavorful sauce made from white wine, lemon juice, and capers. Be sure to gather all the essential ingredients before you start cooking – you don’t want to get halfway through the recipe and realize that you’re missing a key component.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have discussed the ingredients, let’s dive into the recipe. Trust me, this chicken with wine and capers recipe is worth trying!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Start by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Once seasoned, dip them in flour and coat evenly.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter with olive oil until hot.
- Now, add the floured chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside to a warm place.
- Add wine to the pan and stir well while scraping off any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Next, add chicken broth, lemon juice, and capers to make a sauce.
- Simmer this mixture for about 5 minutes or until it starts to reduce down.
- Add back cooked chicken to the skillet with the sauce and spoon some of the sauce over each piece to cover it entirely for a couple of minutes until heated through.
- Sprinkle fresh flat leaf parsley on top of your delicious chicken as a garnish, serve!
Serving and Pairing:
This chicken with wine and capers recipe goes exceptionally well with pasta or thinly sliced braised chicken with olives in tomato sauce (Be sure to check out my baked chicken recipe too– so good!). For an even more delightful meal, try pairing it with a crisp salad or roasted vegetables.
Tips for Perfect Results:
- Be sure to pat the chicken breasts dry before seasoning them.
- Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you like a tangier flavor, add in extra lemon juice.
- You can also chop and scatter fresh basil on top because it makes this dish scrumptious!
Now that you know how to make this chicken with wine and capers recipe, it’s time for you to try it yourself! The combination of the lemony caper sauce mixed with the tender chicken breasts makes for an irresistible flavor. Bon appétit!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch up the classic chicken piccata recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations to try!
– Substitute chicken breasts for chicken thighs for a juicier and more flavorful dish.
– Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for a vegetarian option.
– Try adding sliced mushrooms to the pan with the chicken for an earthy flavor.
– For a more tangy taste, use capers packed in vinegar instead of brine.
– Swap out the dry white wine for a fruity, light red wine like Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.
– Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pan for a rich and hearty variation of the dish.
– Garnish with chopped olives and sundried tomatoes for a Mediterranean twist on this classic Italian recipe.
These simple changes can take your chicken piccata from average to exceptional. Experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique version of this tasty dish. Bon appétit!
Serving and Pairing
Let me tell you, the chicken with wine and capers recipe is absolutely divine. There are different ways you can serve this mouth-watering dish, but I suggest pairing it with either rice, pasta or some veggies.
Rice is always an excellent option because it soaks up all the deliciously tangy sauce made with capers and white wine. You can also go for pasta, particularly the cooked angel hair noodles, which makes for a perfect marriage with butter caper sauce.
If you want to be adventurous, I suggest serving it alongside a fruit salad containing oranges or grapefruits to give your taste buds an extra zing.
When it comes to pairing with wine, I strongly recommend a white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. The acidity of the wine complements the tanginess of the lemon and capers, thereby enhancing its flavor. The flat-leaf parsley in the recipe paired well with white wines.
For non-alcoholic pairing, seltzer infused water can do the magic. Make sure to garnish with a slice of lemon for extra flavor.
I also recommend enjoying this dish alongside some upbeat tunes that will get you singing and dancing in no time. Picture this; your family gathered together enjoying this recipe while sharing stories and laughing-out-loud- memories make this moment memorable.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or need a quick and easy weeknight meal, chicken with wine and capers recipe is a fantastic choice that everyone will love!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Want to be prepared for a busy week or meal prep your dinners in advance? This chicken piccata recipe is a great option to make-ahead and store for later.
To make ahead, cook the chicken piccata as directed and let it cool completely. Store the chicken with the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze the chicken and sauce for up to 2 months. When reheating, simply place the container in the microwave and heat through until piping hot.
If you have leftovers that you want to store after serving, remove the chicken from the sauce and store them separately. This will prevent the chicken from getting soggy from the sauce when stored. The sauce can be stored separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
When reheating, place leftover chicken in a pan on medium heat with a splash of olive oil until heated through. To reheat the sauce, place it back into a pan on medium-low heat until it comes to a simmer. You might need to add a small amount of water or more wine to loosen up the sauce since it could thicken up once refrigerated.
With these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy this delicious meal even on your busiest days without any fuss!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now, let me share some tips to help you achieve the perfect chicken piccata dish.
1. Pound chicken breasts – Pounding the chicken breasts to an equal thickness ensures even cooking and also makes them tender. It’s best to use a meat mallet or rolling pin for this task.
2. Use dry white wine – Always go for dry white wine as it pairs well with the lemon juice and capers in this recipe. Avoid using sweet white wine as it can make the dish too sweet.
3. Don’t overcrowd the pan – To get that golden brown sear on your chicken, avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook chicken piccata in batches if needed.
4. Adjust seasoning – While cooking, taste the sauce as you go along, and adjust seasoning according to your preference. It’s always best to add salt and pepper sparingly at first and then add more if needed.
5. Add cold butter last – Adding cold butter at the end of cooking helps create a smooth and velvety sauce. Take care not to overheat the butter, or it will split.
6. Garnish with fresh herbs – Once you’ve cooked your chicken piccata, garnish it with fresh flat-leaf parsley or any other herbs of your choice for added flavor and presentation.
By following these simple tips, you can elevate your chicken piccata recipe to a whole new level!
Now that we’ve covered every aspect of this chicken with wine and capers recipe, it’s time to address some potential concerns or questions you may have. In this section, I will answer the most frequently asked questions and provide useful tips to help you achieve the best results possible. So, let’s get started!
What is the difference between piccata and Francese?
When it comes to chicken dishes, the preparation method can make a significant difference. For instance, Francese chicken involves dipping the chicken breast in flour and egg before cooking it, while Piccata chicken requires dipping the chicken in egg before coating it with flour. Although both dishes feature a tangy butter and lemon sauce, capers are included in the Piccata sauce.
What is chicken piccata sauce made of?
Making chicken piccata is a breeze! All you need are thinly pounded chicken breasts and a delightful sauce created from capers, butter, white wine, and lemon juice, which can be swiftly prepared in a pan.
What makes something a piccata?
The term Piccata originates from Italy and is derived from the French word pique, meaning sharp. It is commonly used to refer to a method of cooking where meat or fish is sliced and sauteed in a sauce that is made up of butter, lemon, and spices. The word Piccata itself is a mistranslation of the Italian word “larded,” but has come to be known to represent this cooking style.
What wine is best for chicken piccata?
When it comes to finding the perfect wine pairing for Chicken Piccata, one cannot go wrong with the refreshing and zesty notes of Sauvignon Blanc. Its citrusy and herbal flavors go perfectly well with the dish’s tangy hints of lemon and parsley. Another good option to try would be Pinot Grigio or Pinot Blanc, which have a crisp and light mineral taste with a subtle citrus flavor that complements the chicken’s rich flavors. However, if you’re looking for something affordable yet unique, then Vinho Verde is the way to go.
So there you have it, folks! A chicken piccata recipe that’s super quick and easy to make while still giving you maximum flavor. The combination of dry white wine, lemon juice, and capers makes for a flavorful and refreshing sauce that will take your taste buds on a journey.
Whether you’re looking for a special meal or just a quick weeknight dinner, this chicken piccata recipe is sure to satisfy. You can serve it over pasta, rice, or even with baked potatoes, and it will still be absolutely delicious.
And the best part? You can easily switch things up by using different ingredients or making substitutions. Whether you prefer olives, buttery tomato sauces or braised chicken– piccata always gives you room to play!
So go ahead and give this recipe a try—I promise it won’t disappoint! And let me know if you come up with any other interesting variations. Bon appétit!
Chicken With Wine and Capers Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 ounce butter
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1/2 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and fry for 10-12 mins on each side until cooked through. Transfer to a warmed plate, cover and keep warm.
- To make the sauce, add the wine and capers to the same pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2-3 mins until the wine is reduced by half. Add the lemon juice and butter and stir in the parsley.
- Divide the chicken among four warmed plates, pour the sauce over the chicken, garnish with lemon wedges and serve with rice.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You