Hey there foodies! It’s your favorite sommelier, here to share with you a recipe that will surely satisfy your taste buds. Today, I am excited to introduce you to Scallops Bonne Femme, a French-inspired dish that screams elegance and flavor.
Scallops Bonne Femme is a dish made of tender and juicy scallops cooked in a white wine sauce with fresh veggies, such as mushrooms and onions. This classic recipe is easy to prepare and perfect for anyone who wants to whip up a fancy meal right in the comfort of their own home.
So why not take your cooking skills up a notch and impress your loved ones with this delicious seafood delight? Trust me; they won’t be able to resist its savory aroma and delectable flavors.
Keep reading for the ingredient list, recipe how-to, serving suggestions, and more. Get ready to cook like a pro and take your palate on a culinary journey with Scallops Bonne Femme.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Do you love seafood and are looking for a new and exciting way to prepare it? Look no further than this Scallops Bonne Femme recipe! You’ll love this recipe because it’s not only delicious, but also incredibly versatile.
This dish is packed with flavor, thanks to the combination of sea scallops and white wine sauce. The half-and-half adds creaminess and richness, while the lemon juice brings a bright acidity that perfectly balances the flavors. And let’s not forget about the crispy prosciutto and spinach – two ingredients that add texture and depth to the dish.
Another reason why you’ll love this recipe is that it’s incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you can have a gourmet-quality meal on your table in under 30 minutes. Plus, it’s perfect for anyone who loves to cook but is short on time.
But perhaps most importantly, this dish is perfect for entertaining guests or enjoying with loved ones. Whether you’re having a fancy dinner party or a casual night in with family and friends, Scallops Bonne Femme is sure to impress. It’s a dish that will have everyone asking for seconds and begging for the recipe.
So what are you waiting for? Give this delicious Scallops Bonne Femme recipe a try and experience the magic for yourself. Trust me – you won’t regret it!
Here are the ingredients needed to make Scallops Bonne Femme, a delightful dish that combines the sweet, succulent flavor of sea scallops with a rich, creamy white wine sauce:
- 2 lb sea scallops
- 1/2 c. flour
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 2 c. water
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c. half-and-half
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- Bonne Femme Spinach Crispy Prosciutto Recipe or Crispy Prosciutto Recipe, for garnish.
- Lemon caper sauce, Creamy Tuscan Scallops or any other seafood pan sauce of your preference.
Make sure to buy high-quality ingredients for the best results!
The Recipe How-To
- Start by patting dry your sea scallops and seasoning them generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a large cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat until it’s hot, then add olive oil to the pan.
- Once the oil is shimmering and almost smoking, gently put the seasoned scallops in the skillet, making sure not to overcrowd them.
- Cook the scallops for about 2 minutes per side or until they are nicely browned and crispy.
- Once you get those beautiful brown caramelized crusts on, take them out of the skillet and set them aside on a plate while you make the sauce.
Making The Bonne Femme Sauce:
- In the same skillet that you cooked scallops, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup chopped onion, sauté for 2-3 minutes then toss in 1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms and cook another 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup flour onto the vegetables, give everything a good stir, then pour in 2 cups dry white wine, stirring constantly until completely combined.
- Add in 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and a couple of dashes of hot sauce (optional). Give everything a good stir.
- Bring to a high simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, then let the sauce cook for about 10 -15 minutes or until it has thickened up nicely and reduced by about half.
- Toss in some chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese to taste which will really enhance flavor & richness of this incredible high-quality Bonne Femme sauce.
Assebling & Garnish
- Return scallops and any accumulated juices to the pan, making sure that they are fully coated with the sauce.
Garnish your scallops bonne femme with spinach crispy prosciutto or even just some chopped crispy bacon.
Substitutions and Variations
If you find that you’re missing some of the ingredients or simply want to switch things up a bit, here are some substitutions and variations you can try.
– Scallops: If you’re not a fan of scallops or just can’t find any at the store, you can use another type of seafood instead. Shrimp, lobster, or even crab would all work well in this recipe.
– Wine: The dry white wine is an essential component of the dish, but if you don’t have any on hand or prefer not to cook with alcohol, you can use chicken or vegetable broth as a substitute.
– Half-and-Half: Half-and-half adds a creamy richness to the sauce, but heavy cream or whole milk can be used instead if that’s what you have available.
– Spinach: While the spinach adds some nice nutrition and color to the dish, you could swap it out for another green veggie like kale, Swiss chard or even broccoli.
– Crispy Prosciutto: You could substitute Crispy Prosciutto with bacon bits topped over your dish for added flavor and texture.
Remember that substitutions may change the taste and texture of the final dish, so be sure to consider how each substitution will affect the overall flavor profile before making any changes.
Serving and Pairing
Scallops Bonne Femme is a classic French dish that pairs perfectly with a glass of dry white wine. The rich and savory scallops in white wine sauce are perfect for a special date night or dinner party, but can also be served as an everyday meal.
To complement the flavors of the scallops, I recommend pairing a light-bodied white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. The bright acidity and citrus flavors in these wines will enhance the lemon juice and white wine used in the recipe.
For a light and refreshing side dish, consider pairing Scallops Bonne Femme with a salad of chopped parsley and parmesan cheese. This will add some extra texture to the dish while also bringing out the rich flavors in the scallops.
If you’re looking for something more substantial, try serving this dish with some crispy prosciutto on top of Bonne Femme spinach. To make this delicious side, simply sauté spinach with butter, garlic, and salt until wilted, then add some crispy prosciutto on top for an extra kick.
Overall, Scallops Bonne Femme is a versatile dish that can be paired with a range of sides and wines to suit your taste preferences. So grab your apron, open up a bottle of dry white wine, and get ready to impress your guests with this delightful culinary creation!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about Scallops Bonne Femme is that you can prepare it ahead of time and store it in the fridge until needed. Simply let the dish cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
To reheat, simply transfer the dish to a baking dish or skillet and heat on low heat for several minutes, stirring occasionally. Be sure to avoid overheating the dish as it can cause the scallops to become tough and rubbery.
If you need to store leftover Scallops Bonne Femme, transfer the dish to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days. When reheating the leftovers, add a little water or half-and-half to the pan to help rehydrate and bring moisture back into the dish.
While this recipe is best enjoyed fresh, it holds up quite well if you need to make it ahead of time or store leftovers. Just be sure to follow these reheating tips for a delicious result every time.
Tips for Perfect Results
To get the best results with this scallops bonne femme recipe, I recommend a few tips that can make all the difference in your dish.
Firstly, when cooking the scallops, make sure to not overcook them. They only need about 2-3 minutes per side on high heat. Overcooking them will result in tough and rubbery scallops, which definitely won’t taste as good as they should.
Secondly, don’t overcrowd the pan when cooking the scallops. This can lead to steaming instead of searing, which won’t give you the nice brown color and crispy texture you want. Cook them in batches if necessary.
Thirdly, pat the scallops dry with paper towels before cooking them. Excess moisture can also lead to steaming and prevent proper browning.
Fourthly, season the scallops evenly with salt and pepper before adding them to the pan. This will ensure even seasoning and more balanced flavors throughout the dish.
Lastly, when making the sauce, use a good quality dry white wine. The flavor of the wine will come through in the final dish and using a lower quality wine can result in a less flavorful sauce.
Now, let’s move on to the most commonly asked questions about preparing Scallops Bonne Femme. Here are some practical insights and advice that can help you achieve the best results and avoid any pitfalls that could ruin your dish.
What is the best white wine to cook with scallops?
When it comes to enjoying scallops, nothing beats a glass of sauvignon blanc. This wine’s refreshing and lively characteristics make it an excellent match for raw, sautéed, or poached scallops. The gentle taste of raw scallops is effortlessly enhanced by the presence of sauvignon blanc’s lemon and lime undertones, resulting in a delightful culinary experience.
How long to soak scallops before cooking?
For the best results, it’s advised to purchase scallops that are free of chemical additives and referred to as “dry.” However, if you only have access to “wet” scallops, you can still use them. Simply soak them in a mixture of cold water, lemon juice, and table salt for 30 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
What wine is best with scallops?
Grilled scallops are simply delightful as they enhance their inherent sweetness. We can effortlessly pair them with a light chardonnay or complement their natural sweetness with another delightful wine, white Burgundy or champagne.
If you’re looking to impress your dinner guests or simply want to treat yourself to a delicious seafood dish, then this Scallops Bonne Femme recipe is the perfect choice. With its rich and creamy white wine sauce and tender sea scallops, this dish is sure to please any palate.
But don’t just take my word for it, give it a try yourself! With the help of easy-to-find ingredients and clear instructions, you’ll have a restaurant-quality meal on your table in no time. And thanks to the versatility of this recipe, you can easily make substitutions and variations to suit your taste preferences.
So whether you’re in the mood for crisp spinach and prosciutto or want to add some lemon juice for a citrus kick, this Scallops Bonne Femme recipe has got you covered. So why not give it a try today and experience the delicious flavors of this classic French dish right in your own kitchen?
Scallops Bonne Femme (Scallops in White Wine Sauce) Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1/2 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- in a large skillet over med high heat melt butter and cook onion until tender.
- add scallops and mushrooms wine and lemon juice.
- reduce ehat to medium low cover and cook until scallops arejust tender about 15 minutes stir occasionally.
- in a small bowl blend flour salt and half and half gradually stir into scallop mixture cook until thickened.
- serve with parmesan on top and sprinkled with parsley.