Delicious Beef Tips Recipe with Fennel and Mushrooms
Are you tired of the same old boring beef stew recipe? Look no further, because I have the perfect solution for you! Introducing my Beef Tips with Fennel, Mushrooms, and Wine Crock Pot Recipe.
It’s a recipe that is both delicious and easy to make. With just a few basic ingredients, you can have a flavorful and hearty meal that your family or dinner guests will love. And the best part? It’s a one-pot wonder that you can leave cooking in your slow cooker all day long, coming home to the tantalizing aromas of the tender meat, earthy mushrooms, and aromatic fennel.
This recipe is perfect for any occasion – whether it be for a cozy family dinner on a chilly weeknight or an impressive dish to serve at your next dinner party. So why settle for mediocrity when you can impress everyone with this mouth-watering dish? Try my Beef Tips with Fennel, Mushrooms, and Wine Crock Pot Recipe today!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a hearty and wholesome meal that’s easy to prepare? Look no further than this delicious beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine crock pot recipe! Here are just a few reasons why you’ll love it.
Firstly, this recipe is incredibly versatile. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just making a cozy family dinner, you can easily adjust the ingredients to suit your needs. Feel free to swap in your favorite type of mushrooms, or experiment with different types of wine to find your ideal flavor profile.
Secondly, this recipe is packed full of nutritious and flavorful ingredients. From the tender beef tips to the savory fennel and earthy mushrooms, every bite is bursting with deliciousness. Plus, with the addition of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce, this meal is loaded with umami flavor that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
Thirdly, this beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine crock pot recipe is incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you can have a delicious and filling meal on the table in no time. Simply combine all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and let it simmer away until the beef is melt-in-your-mouth tender.
Overall, if you’re looking for a wholesome and comforting meal that’s easy to prepare and bursting with flavor, then this beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine crock pot recipe is definitely for you!
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ lb beef tips
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 packet onion soup mix
Substitutions and Variations
If you can’t find beef tips, try using tri-tip or chuck roast instead. For a slightly different flavor profile, you can substitute white wine for the red wine or add in some cream of mushroom soup. If you don’t have Worcestershire or soy sauce on hand, you can use steak sauce as a substitute. Additionally, if you’re in a rush, you can use an instant pot to speed up the cooking process.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Brown the Beef Tips
In a large pan, heat up some olive oil over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the beef tips and brown them on all sides for about 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. Do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, which will steam the meat instead of searing it. Transfer the browned beef to your slow cooker.
Step 2: Sauté Vegetables
In the same pan used for browning the beef tips, add diced onion, sliced mushrooms, and sliced fennel bulb with a pinch of kosher salt and cook over medium-high heat until they are tender and lightly caramelized (about 10-12 minutes). Then, add in minced garlic, cook for another minute until fragrant, then turn off heat.
Step 3: Deglaze Pan
Pour some red wine into the pan to deglaze it, scraping up those deliciously browned bits stuck on the bottom with a wooden spoon. This adds incredible depth of flavor to your dish.
Step 4: Add to Slow Cooker
Transfer everything from the pan into your crock pot where you have already added the browned beef tips earlier.
Step 5: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a separate bowl, stir together beef broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Pour this mixture into your slow cooker with everything else inside.
Step 6: Add Bay Leaves
Drop two or three whole bay leaves into your slow cooker to infuse not only their signature aroma but also an additional layer of flavor into your dish.
Step 7: Season
Add freshly ground black pepper per preference. Be cautious not to add too much salt as the broth and soy sauce already have sodium. Give everything a good stir.
Step 8: Cook
Cover your slow cooker with lid and cook on high for 4 -5 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours until beef is fork-tender.
Step 9: Thicken Sauce
Once the cooking time is over, ladle out about 1 1/2 cups of the flavorful juice from the crockpot and pour it into a skillet over medium heat. Bring it to a boil, while stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced to a thicker sauce. Add unsalted butter to give a shiny gloss finish to your sauce, stirring constantly until melted.
Step 10: Combine and Serve
Pour the sauce back into the slow cooker and give everything a final gentle stir. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine warm, garnished with some freshly chopped parsley if desired!
Substitutions and Variations
The great thing about this beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine crockpot recipe is that there are so many ways to customize it to your liking. Here are some possible substitutions and variations that you can try out:
– Vegetarian Version: If you want to make a vegetarian version of this dish, you can substitute the beef tips with sliced mushrooms or seitan. Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth, and skip the Worcestershire sauce.
– Chicken or Pork: If you prefer chicken or pork over beef, feel free to substitute the meat in this recipe. Just keep in mind that cooking times will vary depending on the type of meat you use.
– Different Vegetables: You can swap out the fennel for other vegetables like carrots, celery, or bell peppers. You can also add other seasonings like rosemary or thyme.
– Wine Variations: While red wine is traditional for this recipe, you can experiment with different types of wine to bring out different flavors. Try a bold cabernet sauvignon or a fruity pinot noir.
– Cream of Mushroom Soup Alternatives: If you don’t have cream of mushroom soup on hand or prefer not to use it, feel free to substitute with another type of cream soup like cream of chicken or cream of celery.
– Gluten-Free: To make this recipe gluten-free, skip the onion soup mix and Worcestershire sauce as they may contain gluten. Instead, add additional salt and pepper for seasoning.
These substitutions and variations allow you to put your own spin on this classic dish and make it truly yours. So don’t be afraid to experiment and find the combination that best satisfies your taste buds!
Serving and Pairing
Once your beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine are ready, it’s time to serve and enjoy the dish. This meal pairs perfectly with a variety of side dishes and beverages.
For sides, consider serving something with a bit of crunch to contrast the tender beef, such as roasted potatoes or steamed green beans. For a heartier option, try some buttery egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Don’t forget to garnish with some fresh herbs like thyme or parsley for an extra pop of flavor and color.
Now let’s talk about pairing beverages. The rich flavors of the beef and red wine in this dish pair well with a full-bodied red wine such as Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Syrah. If you prefer beer, try a medium-bodied brown ale or a porter to enhance the earthy flavors in the mushrooms and fennel.
If you’re looking for a non-alcoholic option, I recommend serving this dish with sparkling water or an iced tea to help cleanse your palate between bites.
In summary, when it comes to serving and pairing your beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine, there are plenty of options to choose from. Whether you prefer rich red wines or crisp refreshments, this dish will accommodate your taste buds while providing an unforgettable dining experience that you’ll want to recreate again and again.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this Beef Tips with Fennel Mushroom and Wine Crock Pot Recipe is that it can be made ahead of time. The flavors in the dish will have ample time to blend together if you allow it to cool, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can store for up to 4 days without losing its taste.
To reheat the beef tips, you can place them in a pot on medium heat or microwave safe bowl and heat it until they become warm. If it’s too thick because of the sauce, feel free to add a small amount of beef broth or water to loosen it up.
Another option would be to freeze the dish for later use, which will retain its flavor and texture. To do so, put your beef tips into an airtight container suitable for freezing, or use freezer bags. Ensure that you label the container with the date so that you know when to consume it by.
When reheating frozen beef tips, defrost them overnight in the fridge, then reheat them over medium heat on the stove. This crock pot recipe is perfect for meal prep and will enable you to enjoy a delicious dinner without having to worry about cooking it from scratch every day.
Tips for Perfect Results
When preparing beef tips with fennel mushrooms and wine, there are certain tips one can follow in order to achieve perfect results. One of the main challenges when cooking this dish is keeping the beef tender and flavorful while still allowing the other ingredients to shine. Here are some tips to ensure a delicious outcome:
1. Brown the beef: Before adding the beef tips to the slow cooker, make sure to brown them in a skillet with olive oil. This will give them a nice crust and seal in the juices, resulting in more flavorful meat.
2. Don’t overcook the vegetables: While it may be tempting to throw all the ingredients together at once and let them cook for hours on end, this can lead to soggy and overcooked vegetables. Instead, add the fennel bulb, mushrooms, onions, and garlic halfway through the cooking time so that they retain their texture and flavor.
3. Use a good red wine: The wine is an important component of this dish, so it’s important to use a quality red wine. Look for one that you would also enjoy drinking on its own.
4. Add tomato sauce for depth of flavor: While not traditionally included in beef tip recipes, adding tomato sauce can enhance the flavor of this dish by adding a layer of depth and richness.
5. Let it rest: Once the dish is finished cooking, let it rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and prevent any juices from spilling out when you cut into the beef.
By following these simple tips, you can achieve perfect results every time you make this delicious beef tip recipe with fennel mushrooms and wine.
In conclusion, this Beef Tips with Fennel Mushrooms and Wine Crock Pot Recipe is a must-try for meat lovers who are looking for an easy and succulent dinner option. It combines a rich and savory flavor with the added health benefits of fennel and mushrooms. This dish is designed to be filling and nutritious while being effortless to prepare.
Whether you are hosting a gathering or cooking for your family, this recipe is sure to impress. The combination of red wine, garlic, onion, and mushrooms creates a perfect balance of flavors that everyone will love. Not to mention, the crockpot method ensures that the beef tips remain tender, juicy, and full of flavor.
So, next time you want a hearty and delicious meal without any fuss or complications, give my Beef Tips with Fennel Mushroom and Wine Crock Pot Recipe a try! I guarantee it will become a favorite in your household. Don’t forget to serve it with some fresh bread or creamy mashed potatoes for a complete meal. Enjoy cooking!
Beef Tips With Fennel Mushrooms and Wine a Crock Pot Recipe Recipe
- 2 lbs cubed lean stewing beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) package roasted garlic gravy mix, for steaks
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, fresh minced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine, a good one that you drink
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion and fennel bulb until translucent; then remove and place all in crock pot.
- Add stew meat, dusted lightly in flour and cook on high heat until meat is browned on all sides (3-5 minutes).
- Transfer beef tips to crock-pot.
- Pour water, red wine, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into the crock pot, over the beef, onions, and fennel.
- Stir in garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil in crock pot on high heat for approx 30 minutes and then reduce heat to low setting.
- Next, combine the gravy mix with can of mushroom soup, mix thoroughly and add to all, include the 2 bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Serve over egg noodles.