Are you looking for a hearty and delicious meal that will satisfy your cravings? Look no further than this Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe. Perfect for a chilly evening, this slow-cooked meal is packed with flavor and will keep you warm and cozy.
The combination of tender chunks of boneless beef roast, seasoned with dried and fresh rosemary, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, along with hearty vegetables like potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and onions make for a mouthwatering dish that’s sure to please.
But what really sets this meal apart is the addition of red wine. Not only does it add a depth of flavor to the dish, but it also tenderizes the meat to perfection. You won’t want to miss out on all the incredible tastes this dish has to offer.
And the best part? This recipe is prepared in a crockpot, meaning you can set it up in the morning and come home to dinner ready to go. So why not give this Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe a try? It’s comfort food at its finest.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a meat and potatoes lover, then you need to try this Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot recipe. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also hearty, delicious, and packed with flavor that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
The secret to this recipe lies in the slow cooking process that allows the flavors of the ingredients to meld together to create a savory sauce. The combination of boneless beef roast, vegetables like potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, and mushrooms, as well as beef bouillon cubes seasoned with garlic cloves, bay leaf, dried rosemary, fresh rosemary, and crushed red pepper flakes results in an explosion of flavor that is both comforting and satisfying.
To add another layer of complexity to the dish, we used an inexpensive dry red wine – Red Cabernet – to give the meat a slight sweetness that balances perfectly with the vegetables. The wine sauce provides a subtle richness which makes it exceptional in taste.
The best part about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can swap out some of the ingredients or adjust seasoning according to your preferences. It can be made in a slow cooker or cooked on the stove for those who want it faster. Plus, it’s perfect for meal prep or family gatherings because it can feed a crowd.
So if you’re looking for an easy-to-make comfort dish that will leave your family raving about dinner, then go ahead and give this Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot recipe a try. I promise you won’t regret it!
To make this delicious Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 boneless beef roast (such as chuck roast or sirloin steak), about 2-3 pounds
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary (or 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary)
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- Olive oil
Make sure to grab each ingredient before you start making this recipe in order to have the best Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe possible.
The Recipe How-To
Before anything else, it is important to prepare all the ingredients needed. Start by chopping 3 celery stalks, 4 medium-sized carrots, and 1 whole yellow onion into small pieces. Slice 10 ounces of mushrooms and peel 4 Yukon Gold potatoes. You can also chop the potatoes into medium-sized pieces.
Step Two: Browning the Meat
Take a pound of boneless beef roast and cut it into medium-sized cubes. Season it well with 1 teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of pepper. Heat a medium-sized skillet over high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the seasoned meat in batches until browned on all sides.
Step Three: Preparing the Slow Cooker
Once the beef is browned, transfer it to a slow cooker. Add in the chopped celery, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and potatoes. To give the dish an extra flavor profile, add in a bay leaf, half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, 1 garlic clove (minced), one teaspoon of dried rosemary (or one sprig of fresh rosemary), and two beef bouillon cubes.
Step Four: Making the Red Wine Sauce
In a medium bowl or measuring cup, mix together two cups of water, two cups of beef broth, one cup of dry red wine, and two tablespoons of brown sugar until well combined. Pour this mixture over the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker.
Step Five: Cooking
Cover the slow cooker with its lid and cook on low for eight to ten hours or on high for four to six hours.
Once done, take out the bay leaf and remove any excess fat from the surface using a spoon.
Serve with rice or crusty bread as desired. Enjoy your delicious Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
As with most recipes, there are plenty of substitutions and variations you can make to cater to your preferences, dietary restrictions, or available ingredients. Here are some ideas to get you started:
– Instead of using boneless beef roast, you can try using beef brisket, chuck roast or sirloin steak.
– If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, simply omit them from the ingredient list.
– If you’re vegetarian or vegan, you can replace the beef broth and bouillon cubes with vegetable broth and bouillon cubes, respectively. You can also swap out the beef for vegetables like eggplant, zucchini or butternut squash.
– For a lower-carb option, use sweet potatoes instead of Yukon gold potatoes.
– If you like spice, increase the amount of crushed red pepper flakes in the recipe or use hot paprika instead.
– Add 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch to the cooking liquid before serving to thicken up the sauce.
– For a richer flavor, add a splash (or more!) of red wine to the pot along with the beef broth.
These substitutions and variations will help you customize this recipe to your taste buds. Experiment with different ingredients until you find your perfect variation.
Serving and Pairing
This Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe is a complete meal in itself. The rich and flavorful beef stew is paired with tender potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and other veggies to provide a balanced and wholesome flavor.
When serving this dish, I recommend pairing it with creamy mashed potatoes or rustic crusty bread to soak up all the delicious wine sauce. You can also add a side of your choice of vegetable for some bright freshness.
As for wine pairing, I suggest sticking with a dry red like a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Merlot that would compliment the bold flavors of the beef stew. The robust tannins in these wines are perfect for balancing out the rich flavors of the dish, while their fruity notes bring out its aromatic profile.
Lastly, if you’re looking to wow your guests with this Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe, I recommend garnishing it with some fresh parsley or rosemary. These aromatic herbs will not only add an enticing fragrance but also make the dish visually appealing.
Overall, this Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe is a crowd-pleaser and perfect for any occasion. With minimal preparation required, you can enjoy a hearty and satisfying meal in no time!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe is perfect for preparing in advance, saving you time on busy weeknights. The recipe can be made ahead and stored for later use, which will also allow the flavors to meld together even more.
Once the dish has completed cooking, divide it into serving sized containers and store them in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 4-6 months. Be sure to allow it to cool down before packing it away.
When reheating, I recommend thawing the frozen dish overnight in the refrigerator – this will ensure even reheating without overcooking certain parts of the meat. Once thawed, reheat it in a microwave or a covered oven-safe dish in an oven preheated at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes until heated through.
For those who are crunched on time, this recipe can also be prepared in advance and then refrigerated until ready to cook. To do so: simply prepare all of the ingredients as directed up until step three (cooking in slow cooker), then store them together in a large ziplock bag with air removed or sealed container. When you’re ready to cook it, just add everything to the slow-cooker and carry on with the recipe steps.
This hearty beef stew is incredibly flavorful and ideal for make-ahead meal planning!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the best possible results from this Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe, I have compiled a few essential tips that can help you make a dish that is both delicious and tender.
1. Season your meat generously with salt and pepper before browning it. Salt enhances the flavor of meat, while seasoning it with black pepper aids in making it savory.
2. Brown your meat thoroughly in olive oil. Taking the time to brown the meat adds depth to the recipe, seals in the flavors and maintains tenderization of the beef.
3. Deglaze your pan after browning your meat by using beef broth or red wine to scrape off any delicious brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. These little pieces are gold for building out intense, complex flavours!
4. Be mindful not to overcook your beef if substituting a more delicate cut such as sirloin steak. Overcooking can result in dry, stringy steak that would detract from the overall charm of this recipe.
5. Cut your vegetables into similar-sized pieces so they cook evenly, which promotes the best overall texture while cooking.
6. Toast any dried herbs like dried rosemary over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant before incorporating them into your dish. This will awaken their natural oils and enhance their flavors – resulting in an even more savory final product.
7. Mix cornstarch with water and add it to the sauce towards the end of cooking for further thickness and velvety texture.
Remember these critical tips and you’ll achieve an outstanding Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe every time!
In conclusion, this meat and potatoes red Cabernet crock pot recipe is a must-try for anyone searching for a delicious and easy-to-make meal. With the perfect combination of beef roast, vegetables, and a rich sauce made with red wine, this dish is sure to satisfy any appetite.
Not only is this recipe full of flavor, but it also provides numerous health benefits. The ingredients used in this recipe are all-natural, and the presence of vegetables like carrots, celery, and mushrooms ensure that you are getting a good dose of vitamins and minerals in every serving.
Whether you’re cooking for your family or hosting a dinner party, this recipe is perfect for any occasion. You can serve it on its own or pair it with your favorite sides to create a complete meal everyone will enjoy. Plus, since it’s made in a crock pot, it’s an easy and convenient option that saves you both time and effort.
In conclusion, I highly recommend trying out this meat and potatoes red Cabernet crock pot recipe. It’s an excellent way to enjoy a hearty and healthy meal without having to spend too much time in the kitchen. So why not give it a try today? I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
Meat & Potatoes Red Cabernet Crock Pot Recipe Recipe
- 2 cups cabernet sauvignon wine (or more! It's good for you!)
- 1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, washed, pared & sliced
- 1 garlic clove (or table spoon crushed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 heads celery, with leafy greens roughly chopped
- 4 small red potatoes
- 4 small yukon gold potatoes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 (8 ounce) boxes mushrooms (I used button try any)
- 16 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 4 lbs boneless beef roast (rump, chuck or round)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch (for au jus)
- 1.Place roast in crock pot and season with pepper.
- 2.Mix rest of ingredients together and pour over roast.
- 3.Cover top with mushrooms and add bay leaf.
- 4.Cover and cook on low 6-9 hours.
- 5.Remove roast to rest on platter.
- 6.Discard bay leaf.
- 7.Turn crock pot to high.
- 8.Whisk cornstarch into juices to thicken.
- 9.This makes a wonderfully tasty au jus, or over mashed potatoes.
- 11.You can easily make additions to this: pearl onions,.