There’s nothing quite like a perfectly cooked steak to satisfy my craving for a hearty meal. And when it comes to enhancing the flavor of steak, marinades are a great way to go. That’s why I want to share with you my favorite steak marinade recipe that uses red wine as the star ingredient.
This red wine steak marinade is the ultimate gift to your taste buds! The combination of dry red wine, olive oil, and spices such as garlic, pepper, and oregano creates a rich and flavorful blend that will truly take your steak to the next level.
Not only does this marinade add incredible taste to your steak, but it also tenderizes the meat, making it juicier and more succulent than ever before. Plus, it can be used with various cuts of beef, including flank steak or ribeye.
In this recipe article, I’ll walk you through all the ingredients and steps needed for creating this delicious red wine steak marinade. Trust me; you’ll love this recipe so much that it will soon become a regular in your kitchen. So let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of serving the same old bland steak every time you have guests over for dinner? Or, are you simply looking to elevate your weeknight dinner game? Look no further than this steak wine marinade recipe.
Not only does it require minimal effort with ingredients you likely already have on hand, but the result is a juicy and flavorful steak that will have your taste buds begging for more. The combination of dry red wine, garlic, oregano, and lemon juice infuses the meat with bold flavors that will leave you wanting more.
What’s more, this recipe is versatile, as it works well with various cuts of beef such as flank steak or ribeye, making it perfect to suit your preferences. Plus, the deep red color of the marinade makes for a visually appealing dish that will impress any dinner guest.
So why not step up your steak game with this wine marinade recipe and impress your family and friends at your next gathering?
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make this delicious red wine steak marinade recipe:
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
Note: Depending on the size of your steak, you may need to adjust the quantities of some of the ingredients accordingly.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients for this delicious Steak Wine Marinade Recipe, it is time to start cooking!
Step 1: Prepare the Marinade
In a bowl, mix together 1 cup of red wine, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. To the mixture, add 3 cloves garlic minced, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, and 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme. Then season with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, and 2 teaspoons ground cumin. Whisk all the ingredients together thoroughly.
Step 2: Marinate the Steak
Place your desired cut of steak (flank steak or ribeye steak work great) into a resealable plastic bag. Pour in the marinade mixture from step 1 until the steak is fully coated. Seal the bag and shake it gently to distribute evenly. Place it in the refrigerator for at least two hours but preferably overnight.
Step 3: Cook the Steak
Preheat your grill or grill pan to high heat. Remove steak from bag and discard any excess marinade. Season lightly with freshly ground pepper on both sides before cooking on each side for about four minutes for medium-rare. You can adjust the cooking time to your preferred level of doneness.
Step 4: Let Rest Before Serving
Once cooked to your likeness, remove from heat source and ramp down burner temperature to low. Then, let meat rest for several minutes before serving.
Step 5: Enjoy with Your Favorite Side Dishes
This steak dish goes well with an array of side dishes from potatoes and veggies to salads or sandwich. Get creative!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to marinades, the possibilities are endless! Here are some substitutions and variations to make this wine steak marinade recipe truly yours:
– Wine Variations: You can experiment with different wine varieties to achieve distinct flavors. A Pinot Noir will give a more delicate taste than a Cabernet Sauvignon, for instance. Or maybe you’d like to try a fruitier red like Merlot or a smoky Syrah. Just keep in mind that more tannic wines could overpower the other ingredients.
– Oil Alternatives: While olive oil gives a lovely Mediterranean flavor to the dish, you can substitute it with another oil if you prefer. Avocado oil and vegetable oil will work fine. You could also use melted butter or ghee for an additional depth of flavor.
– Red Wine Vinegar: If you don’t have red wine vinegar, you can replace it with another acidic ingredient such as balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice.
– Herb Combinations: Feel free to mix up the herbs used in the recipe according to your preferences. Fresh thyme, parsley or basil will all add a lovely aroma and taste to the steak. Similarly, you can try adding some chopped fresh ginger, green onions or peppers for more zing.
– Meat Varieties: This wine marinade is great for any cut of beef, from flank steak and tri-tip to ribeye and sirloin. But don’t let that limit you! Consider marinating chicken thighs or pork chops for equally delicious results.
Remember that cooking is all about exploring and having fun! Try out different combinations until you find the one that tickles your palate.
Serving and Pairing
Once your steak has been marinated, it’s time to think about how to serve and pair it. The combination of flavors from the peppery kick of the black pepper, the sweetness coming from sugar, and the tangy undertones of red wine marinade make for a mouth-watering ensemble that is best when grilled or broiled. I suggest serving this red wine steak alongside a green salad and freshly baked artisan bread to help balance the flavors.
If you’re craving something heartier, try pairing it with roasted root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, or parsnips. These starchy vegetables work well with the rich flavors in this dish and add texture and depth to your meal.
When it comes to wine pairing, bring out a good bottle of red wine! Since this recipe itself calls for dry red wine and red wine vinegar, it only makes sense to pair it with one. I recommend indulging yourself with a full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. You could also try pairing it with a spicy Shiraz since it will complement the heat from the black pepper quite nicely.
This steak marinade is perfect for summertime cookouts or even your next Sunday night dinner. Impress your taste buds and impress your guests as well by trying out this delicious wine steak marinade!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This steak wine marinade recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or last-minute dinner parties. Luckily, it’s also a great make-ahead dish! You can prepare the marinade up to 24 hours before you plan to use it and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you have leftover marinated steak, don’t fret! Simply store the meat in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. You could even try freezing it for up to 3 months if you don’t plan on eating it right away.
When reheating your steak, make sure not to overcook it because that will compromise its flavor and texture. Preheat your oven to around 350°F and then place your marinated steak on an oven-safe dish with any leftover juices from the marinade. Cover with foil and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Overall, this marinade is very versatile and easy to prepare, making it perfect for any occasion. Its rich flavors hold up well both during storage and when reheated, so you can confidently serve delicious and juicy red wine marinated steak at any time.
Tips for Perfect Results
To create the best steak using this wine marinade recipe, follow these key tips:
1. Marinate for at least 2 hours: This steak marinade recipe is designed to infuse the meat with robust flavors that can only be achieved through patient marinating. Make sure to give your steak ample time to soak up the wine and herb-infused marinade by leaving it in the fridge for a minimum of two hours.
2. Use the best ingredients: Choose high-quality red wine, olive oil, and soy sauce for the most flavorful result. Fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme add an extra layer of complexity to the marinade.
3. Don’t overcook the steak: To ensure maximum flavor and juiciness, cook your steak to medium-rare or medium (135°F – 145°F). If you’re using a thinner cut of meat, take special care not to overcook it; otherwise, it will become tough and chewy.
4. Let it rest: Once you’ve cooked your steak to perfection, resist the urge to cut into it right away! Instead, let it rest on a cutting board for at least five minutes before slicing into it. This will allow all those delicious juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
5. Experiment with different cuts: While flank steak works wonderfully with this marinade recipe, don’t hesitate to try out other cuts such as sirloin, ribeye or skirt steak with this delicious wine marinade too.
By following these easy tips, you’ll be able to make a perfectly marinated dish every time you use this wine marinade recipe!
With this delicious and flavorful steak wine marinade recipe, your taste buds will thank you. Whether you’re grilling up a juicy ribeye, flank, or sirloin steak, this marinade recipe is the perfect way to take your meat to a whole new level. The red wine and herbs perfectly complement the savory flavors of the steak, while the soy sauce and dijon mustard add a tangy punch.
But this recipe isn’t just about the taste. It’s also incredibly versatile and can be customized to your liking. You can adjust the levels of salt, sugar, and spices to suit your taste buds or swap out ingredients to create different variations. You can even use this marinade on chicken or pork if you want to mix things up!
Plus, with easy-to-follow instructions and tips for perfect results, even a novice cook can whip up this dish with confidence. So go ahead and impress your guests with this stand-out dish that’s sure to tantalize their taste buds.
In conclusion, if you want to level up your steak game with minimal effort, then give this delicious steak wine marinade recipe a try. Your guests will be blown away by the incredible flavor profiles of this simple yet tasty marinade!
Steak Wine Marinade Recipe
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a heavy-duty plastic food bag, mix all ingredients well.
- Place steak in marinade and seal bag tightly.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, inverting bag every hour.
- Marinade can be used to baste steak while grilling.